Watercolor Painting

Learning Watercolor Painting

Hello! It’s been a while since I posted something on my blog and I apologize. I’ve been busy designing patterns. Anyway, I always wanted to learn how to paint with watercolors to add to my mixed media projects. So I did some research on what watercolors to buy. According to some of the artists they recommend Kuretake and Holbein watercolors. So I bought both Kuretake and Holbein and I like the vibrancy. I watched tutorials on YouTube and I’ll tell you it’s not easy as it looks. I’m having a hard time controlling how much water to add to the watercolor. I always adding too much water and ended up ruining my design. 

img_7175

Before I get started on a project I mixed colors first to see what it will look like on paper. I created a mixed color guide to help me decide what colors to use. I also practiced my brush strokes by blending colors from darker to lighter.

Processed with Rookie Cam

Processed with Rookie Cam

I think jellyfish are the easiest to paint so I decided to give it a try. I am happy how my jellyfish turned out. The colors are more vibrant and intense. I hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

 

Canvas

Another Canvas Art for Wall Decor

fullsizerender_1

Greetings! I like collecting box lids because they are easy to work with and much cheaper. So I will admit that I am a lid hoarder….LOL. This mix media canvas was created from a box lid. I would say that I am happy with it but I think I can do much better. Like for example the butterflies, I used perfect pearls to color them and it didn’t turned out the way I expected. It was my first time to try perfect pearls by ranger so I need to learn more how to use them. I like the pearlescent effect it gives. The butterflies are made from chipboard and I painted them with white gesso and applied perfect pearls. For the sentiments, I used my silhouette portrait machine to cut out the letters and applied distress ink. I hope you like it and thanks for stopping by.

img_3629

First, I applied gesso to the canvas and blended some dylusions paints until I am satisfied with it.

img_3630

I splattered some acrylic paints on the canvas to make it more interesting.

fullsizerender

Next, I adhered some torn up patterned papers and distressed the edge with paper distressing tool. I applied distress ink on the papers but I couldn’t get the effect that I am going after.

img_3635

So when distress ink didn’t work, I tried applying black marble and squeezed orange dylusions paints around the sides of the canvas and on the scrapbook paper. I am very pleased of the outcome.

img_3636

I also stamped the top, bottom and sides using rough it up stamp from bobunny and outlined it with black marker.